Navigating Life During the Pandemic
Financial and Emotional Assistance
Everence – If you’re concerned about your finances and/or paying your debts and bills, Everence offers free debt and budget counseling.
Lacasa – Offers 15 minute guidance calls on your income, bills and other financial concerns.
211 Indiana – Connects you with services and resources in your community, especially if you are in need of financial or other assistance as a result of lost wages from business closures and quarantines.
Elkhart County COVID-19 – There are so many resources available during this challenging and confusing time. This website is to help connect residents of Elkhart County to those resources, to provide opportunities for people to give back, and to highlight the chances to have fun!
Indiana COVID-19 Rental Assistance Program – helps Indiana residents who are unable to pay their rent due to a loss of wages or other impact caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Indiana Department of Workforce Development – Where to file for unemployment.
Jobs Progress – Provides up-to-date listings of employers in the greater South Bend region (including Elkhart County) who are hiring. The site will also allow employers to describe the COVID-19-related safety and precautionary measures they are taking.
Ivy Tech Community College free online job search video series – The job search video series will cover Resume, Cover Letter, Job Boards, Application Form, Job Search Filters, Career Fair, Elevator Pitch, Networking, Interviewing, Interview Questions, Tracking, LinkedIn, and Valuable Engagements.
FSSA Benefits Portal – Apply for SNAP, Cash Assistance, Health Coverage, or check the status of your case.
Coronavirus Eviction & Foreclosure Resource Guide – From the Indiana Housing & Community Development Authority
The Window – Offers a food pantry and Meals on Wheels
Free sack lunches – @ St John’s Catholic Church in Goshen on Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday from 6-7 PM. Tuesday & Wednesday will be at Cornerstone from 6-7PM.
Food Assistance Availability Map – Put in your address to find nearby food pantries & meal sites.
Elkhart County Food Council – lists of food pantries, school meal sites, restaurants with carry-out and delivery options, and resources for food growers.
Humane Society of Elkhart County Pet Food Assistance Program – For those who can no longer afford pet food.
Low-cost internet service and computer offers
Indiana Retired Teachers Association Call & Learn Hotline – Students and parents can call toll-free (877) 45-STUDY (877-457-8839) to request assistance from a volunteer educator. The Call & Learn Hotline is open every weekday from 1:00-5:00 p.m.
Triple P Support & Resources for Parents – Includes tips for parenting in uncertain times and tips for supporting e-learning (both available in English & in Spanish).
Be Well Indiana – Information and resources compiled by the Indiana Division of Mental Health and Addiction designed to help Hoosiers stay connected and maintain their well-being.
Disaster Distress Helpline – Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor. Dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster.
How To Get Therapy When You Can’t Leave The House – NPR article that offers ways to start or continue therapy right where you are.
Surviving Debt: Expert Advice for Getting Out of Financial Trouble – Free ebook from the National Consumer Law Center
Elkhart County 2020 Primary election absentee info – Includes applications to vote absentee by mail.
Elkhart County COVID-19 Local Resource Guide – Crowdsourced collection of resources
Ways to Help
COVID-19 Community Response Fund – The Community Foundation of Elkhart County and United Way of Elkhart & LaGrange Counties have partnered to establish a COVID-19 Community Response Fund to support local families and nonprofits through this rapidly developing health and economic crisis.
Goshen Health COVID-19 response fund – Goshen Health Foundation established this fund “to aid our medical professionals through efforts like providing essential medical supplies, constructing emergency care structures or offering critical support for our frontline colleagues and to help individuals and families in our community who are not working, who have medical bills or who have a key family member incapacitated at the hospital. ”
COVID19 | Community Appreciation Card – The community is invited to show your support for Goshen Health Colleagues by signing this online card.
American Red Cross – The Red Cross is facing a blood shortage due to increasing number of cancellations. Healthy individuals are needed to donate lifesaving blood. If you or someone you know is eligible to do so, please schedule your appointment at RedCrossBlood.org, calling 1-800-RED-CROSS, or downloading the FREE Red Cross Blood Donor App.
Sewing Masks – Elkhart County Extension Homemakers or Sew Loved Masks
Support Small Businesses in Northern Indiana & Local Goshen restaurants open for takeout (Gallery view) – Although you may not be able to physically visit your favorite restaurants or shops, you can still support the local economy during this difficult time.
Telling Your Story: Documenting COVID-19 in Indiana – The Indiana Historical Society is asking for your help documenting COVID-19 in Indiana. Add your story of how you and your family are understanding and experiencing the current “new normal.”
Stay-At-Home Stir Crazy? Library Crowdsourcing Projects Provide Productive Distraction at a Social Distance – Help with transcription, recording audiobooks, indexing, and a wide range of science, humanities, and cultural heritage projects.
Things to Do at Home
- Book Passage’s Conversations with Authors – Live sessions with great writers and thinkers
- Digital Escape Rooms – Created by librarians all around the world
- INseparable Films – Indiana Humanities funded five short films exploring how Hoosiers experience and grapple with urban, suburban and rural divides. The films premiered in early 2020 and are now available to stream online, for free.
- National Book Festival videos – Browse and view dozens of presentations by authors, poets, storytellers and illustrators at the National Book Festival.
- Bite-Size Book Buzz & Library Love Fest – YouTube channels showcasing new book titles, authors, etc.
- City of Goshen Virtual Recreation Center – Fitness classes, zoo cams, virtual tours of museums and historical sites, and more!
- Indiana State Parks Virtual Programs – Topics include wildflower walks, nature talks, live captive animal feedings, history programs, craft tutorials, pre-school programs, and property tours.
- Visit Indiana: Virtual Vacations – Museums, roller coasters, activities and more!
- 10 Virtual Family Vacations – Virtual tours from around the country & the world.
- Explore.org Livecams & The 25 Best Animal Live Cams
- CurtainTimes – Find theater events online during the shutdown.
- The Shows Must Go On – Andrew Lloyd Webber is releasing a free, full-length, smash-hit musical each Friday.
- National Theatre at Home – One National Theatre Live performance is available for free streaming each week.
- The Social Distancing Festival – An online community for celebrating artists’ work that has been cancelled/delayed/disrupted due to the need for social distancing. Features visual arts and livestreams of dance, music, and theater.
- Fender Play – 3 months of free guitar, bass, or ukelele lessons
- Museum of Modern Art – Free online courses covering contemporary art, fashion, and photography
- Google Arts & Culture – 2000 collections from museums, galleries, & institutions around the world
- Digital Jigsaw Puzzles: Elkhart County Elkhart County Historical Museum, Indiana
- Links to Explore at Home – GPL’s Children’s Department created this list of storytimes, educational resources, virtual field trips, and more!