Genealogy & Local History
Materials found in our Indiana Room include:
- Indexes for Elkhart County Vital Records
- Births 1882-1920
- Deaths 1882-1920
- Marriages 1830-1920
- Microfilm(with reader/printer)
- Census records 1830-1920
- Goshen newspapers 1837— Present
- Sanborn maps of Goshen 1886-1926
- Goshen newspaper indexes
- Indexes to Cemetery Records of Elkhart County
- Elkhart County histories
- Elkhart County plat books – 1892, 1929, 1969, 1979, 1984, 1996
- Goshen City Directories – 1883, 1887, 1890, 1908-1909, 1912, 1921, 1925, 1929, 1937, 1939, 1941, 1946, 1948, 1951, 1953, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1960-1962, 1964-1980, 1982-1997
- Elkhart/Goshen City Directories – 1998-Current Year
- Yearbooks — Goshen High School, Bethany Christian Middle & High Schools, Goshen College.
Contact the Reference Department if you would like a local obituary or other local history information sent to you by mail or email.
- Ancestry Library: Genealogical database with extensive coverage of the U.S. and the U.K., including census, vital, church, court, and immigration records, as well as record collections from Canada and other areas. Available only on GPL computers.
- HeritageQuest Online: Genealogical database of over 25,000 family and local histories, the entire U.S. Federal Census, PERSI™, and more. Available on home computers with your GPL card number.
- NewspaperARCHIVE – Indiana
Features articles from Indiana’s historical newspapers. Allows you to search for your ancestors by name and to narrow your results by year and location. The archives cover Indiana history from 1800-2014. Click here to access from home.