Head of Technical Services
Goshen Public Library is hiring for Department Head of Technical Services
The Library, located in Goshen, Indiana, serves a population of approximately 37,000. The Goshen community is a northern Indiana hub known for its diverse population and welcoming spirit. Goshen is recognized for its vibrant downtown, as well as thriving art, theater, and music scenes. The City is also home to a lively farmer’s market, a long-established co-op market, an award winning micro-brewery, and several notable eateries. Goshen students attend the Goshen Community School system offering opportunities across several curriculums and boasting a 93% graduation rate in 2019. The City is home to Goshen College, a Christian liberal arts school, rooted in servant leadership, global citizenship, and peacemaking.
Goshen Public Library was incorporated in 1900 and by 1902 became the first Carnegie Library in the State of Indiana. Today, the 45,000 square foot library houses materials in excess of 187,000 items, plus offers access to a complete array of digital content to more than 20,000 patrons. Circulation of library materials and attendance at library programs is robust. The library participates in a consortium with the neighboring Elkhart Public Library system sharing several resources including an ILS/catalog. GPL, poised for the future, looks toward multiple 2020 initiatives including strategic planning and space planning.
JOB TITLE: Head of Technical Services
JOB SUMMARY: This full-time, salaried position reports to the Director and is responsible for managing and leading the daily operations and staff of the Technical Services Department at the library. Position includes some evening and weekend work. Position involves membership on the library management team, the collection development committee, and other committees as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for supervising the classification and cataloging of new print and non-print materials using MARC records and RDA cataloging rules.
- Responsible for overseeing the withdrawal of materials.
- Responsible for gathering and reporting monthly department statistics to the Director and Library Board.
- Responsible for working with the Elkhart Public Library, our consortium partner, in maintaining the accuracy of the shared bibliographic database.
- Understands and implements library procedures and policies, while safeguarding confidential and restricted information.
- Participates in selecting personnel for Technical Services Team.
- Leads, supervises, and evaluates Technical Services staff.
- Cooperates as a team member in performing duties essential to the achievement of efficient library operations.
- Keeps informed of current information and trends at local, regional, and national levels.
- Attends library board, management, staff, and consortium meetings.
- Attends other professional meetings, conferences, and workshops, as appropriate.
- Achieves and maintains records for continuing education and certification as required by the Indiana State Library.
- Promotes the library through good public relations and participating in community engagement efforts.
- Performs other duties as needed and/or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to obtain and maintain the Indiana certification requirements for a department head (Class B, LC 5 minimum requirement).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, friendly, and service-driven working relationships with staff and public.
- Knowledge of public library cataloging principles, practices, and technology including cataloging databases and MARC cataloging.
- Knowledge of PC and Windows software applications.
- Possess basic typing and computer skills.
- Ability to embrace, adapt to, and effectively implement change.
- Ability to bend and stoop.
- Ability to lift, push, and carry 40 lbs.
- MLS or equivalent plus 2 years of cataloging experience.
- Management or supervisory experience.
- Experience using the Polaris ILS is desirable.
- Paid holiday time
- Paid leave time
- Vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance
- Participant in Indiana PERF
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
Submit resume and letter of interest via mail or email to:
Ann-Margaret Rice, Director
Goshen Public Library
601 South 5th Street
Goshen, IN 46526
FIRST PRIORITY DEADLINE: July 6, 2020